AEJMC’s CSM has been increasing its lobbying for historically underrepresented groups as a watchdog on industry (i.e., its survey of diversity in the magazine field), expanding the commission’s Web and social-media presence in calling attention to issues of multiculturalism, pushing AEJMC organization-wide to recognize and elevate the profile of minority-group members, and much more. (See the list below.)
We at the commission need your support to continue and keep expanding our efforts. Please renew your annual membership with AEJMC & CSM today, and, this holiday season, consider a specific donation to CSM; your gift of $25, $50, $100 or any amount will greatly assist the commission in its work.
To give to CSM, write a check to AEJMC, put “CSM donation” in the subject line and send to:
234 Outlet Pointe Blvd.
Columbia, SC 29210-5667
Click here to give to CSM online via credit card on the AEJMC site. Be sure to use the giving form’s write-in area and put “CSM donation.” You may designate any amount.
Here are some of CSM’s achievements in the past year:
– Funding new media to bring attention to challenges and successes in multiculturalism (see our new Twitter and revamped Facebook)
– Launching a diversity-experts database for use by students, faculty, administrators and media
– Starting a video library of advice for budding media pros and academics
– Successfully lobbying AEJMC for funding for diversity initiatives and to select speakers from the historically underrepresented
– Reaching out to professional media to encourage hiring and promotion of racial minorities
– Seeking out HBCU and HSI officials to more greatly include them in our work
– Encouraging graduate students’ participation by naming the first-ever graduate student coordinator and cutting grads’ dues
– Supporting financially and otherwise fellow multicultural initiatives in AEJMC such as the Trailblazers Oral History Project
– Increasing the commission’s convention presence through co-sponsoring panels and getting CSM’s session moved earlier
– Publishing two newsletters for the first time in several years
Make sure the diversity fight continues – join and donate to CSM today!